Utility Stores Corporation of Pakistan (USC) operates retail chain stores throughout Pakistan providing basic commodities to general public at rates which are lower than the open market. Utility Stores Corporation is a semi-autonomous Corporation governed by Board of Directors and headed by a Managing Director. The basic objectives are as under:
- To protect the real income of the people by selling essential consumer items at prices lower than those prevailing in the open markets.
- To act as a price moderator in the market and deterrent to profiteering, hoarding and black marketing by the private sector.
USC Special Role time to time
- Food security during crisis. (Provision of basic Food Items to affectees during natural disasters)
- Intervention in market through sale of subsidized items
- Government's Relief Package’s e.g. Ramadan Package